Meet the new Apaches

Introducing new teachers

Sanger High School has gained new teachers in all areas this 22- 23 school year. Principal Kirstin Coronado said she is feeling very positive about the new staff members.
“I love the new teachers. I appreciated them for being part of Sanger High School and improving and helping support our culture,” said Coronado. “We appreciate all the hours they put in so that our kids can have the best daily instruction.”

Jessica Clark: SDC English, Life Skills, Special Olympics PE (Valeria Munoz Reyes )
Jordan Willbourn: Plant Science Pathway (Valeria Munoz Reyes)
Micah Johnson: Science Teacher (Valeria Munoz Reyes)
Niki Pool: Biology and Conceptual Physics (Valeria Munoz Reyes)
Vincent Mejia: Senior Economics (Valeria Munoz Reyes )
Amy Zaninovich: 12th Grade English (Valeria Munoz Reyes )
Austin Ruik: History and 10th Grade Social Studies (Valeria Munoz Reyes )
Janet Tenpas: Band Director (Valeria Munoz Reyes )

Jessica Clark: SDC English, Life Skills, Special Olympics PE
What inspired you to become a teacher?
I wanted to make a difference in the lives of children.
What classes do you teach? Clubs?
I teach SDC English, Life Skills, and Special Olympics PE. I am the Special Olympics coach.
What is the most stressful part of teaching?
The most stressful part of teaching is planning at the start of the school year because you don’t know your students yet. It makes it hard to target their needs and interests when you don’t know them yet. But once you get to know them it is stress free from there.
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
I enjoy seeing the growth that students make throughout the year.
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
The thing I enjoy most is when students try something new or take risks in class and you get to see the smile on their faces when they achieve what they were working for.
What is your main goal this year ?
My main goal this year is to grow as an educator and to make fun memories with my students.
What university/college did you attend ?
I went to California State University San Marcos for my Bachelors and National University for my credential and my Masters.
Is there anything you would like to add?
I am so excited to be part of Sanger Unified this year!

Jordan Wilbourn: Plant Science Pathway
What inspired you to become a teacher?
I wanted to stay connected in the agriculture industry, and be a part of educating our next generation on the importance of this industry and all that it has to offer.
What classes do you teach? Clubs? I teach the Plant Science Pathway, which includes: Intro to Plant Science, Irrigation Management, Soil Science, Machine Technology, Ag Accounting, and Ag Econ. I am also an FFA advisor and coach multiple CDE/LDE contests.
The most stressful part about teaching is probably time management. As an ag teacher, we wear a lot of hats and are always involved in multiple things at one time.
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
It’s fun to see students challenge themselves to learn a new skill or take on a topic they are comfortable with, and accomplish it and boost their confidence.
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
I enjoy giving my kids a number of opportunities inside the classroom, as well as outside through everything they can get involved in within FFA, from show teams to judging teams and everything else.
What is your main goal this year ?
My main goal this year is to build strong relationships with my students in my pathway, and be successful at our events, like the fair and other contests.
I attended Fresno State for my Bachelor’s Degree and Cal Poly SLO for my Master’s.

Micah Johnson: Science teacher
What inspired you to become a teacher?
At first, I did not want to be a teacher, but after working several odd jobs I realized that I was happiest when I was teaching. As such, I pursued a career in teaching.
What classes do you teach? Clubs?
Conceptual Physics, Biology, and Chemistry (depending on the year).
Trying to stay on top of everything, and grading.
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
It’s a lot of fun to see a student’s eyes light up when they finally understand something.
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
Probably building relationships with my students
What is your main goal this year ?
I learned a lot in my time at Fresno State and I want to integrate that with what I know works well with high school.
Fresno State.
I am a returning teacher at Sanger High. I worked here from 2016 to 2020. I left to earn my master’s degree at Fresno State. I had thought I would pursue a doctorate after earning my master’s. However, I missed teaching high school and realized that my passion lies with teaching at the high school level rather than the college level. While I enjoyed my time working at Fresno State, I am excited to be back at Sanger High. I love teaching science and getting to explore how the world works. I am a huge nerd who enjoys playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Niki Pool: Biology and Conceptual Physics
What inspired you to become a teacher?
My very own Biology teacher in high school helped spark my love for Science and eventually for teaching others!
What classes do you teach? Clubs?
I teach Biology and Conceptual Physics
For me as a newer teacher to these contents, it’s trying to learn the material and concepts then trying to make lessons that engage students.
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
I really enjoy helping students be successful because I know these classes can be tough. Everyone needs a little help along the way somewhere.
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
The best part of teaching is getting to see students be successful with difficult assignments and getting to do the fun lab investigations.
What is your main goal this year?
Survive….kidding! My primary goal is to help students connect with and triumph over hard concepts as well as build my own connections with students.
I got my AA at Fresno City then transferred to Fresno State to get my BS in Biology and my Secondary Teaching Credential

Vincent Mejia: Senior Economics
What inspired you to become a teacher?
I have always known that I wanted to do something to help inspire people to be the best they can be. Sanger High was my home away from home and I wanted to give back to the community that did so much for myself.
What classes do you teach? Clubs?
I teach 12th grade economics. I am not an advisor but I do coach boys and girls varsity volleyball.
The most stressful part is definitely lesson planning. I always try my best to make every lesson enjoyable and informative for my students which takes a lot of time during the week/weekends.
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
I think that students have tremendous potential and the ability to succeed in whatever they do. Sometimes, it is hard for them to see the possibilities due to certain circumstances. I like helping students grow as individuals so that they can succeed beyond the walls of my classroom.
What do you enjoy most about teaching?
I enjoy talking to my students everyday and hearing the funny stories and comments they have to say.
What is your main goal this year?
My main goal is to get myself situated and comfortable on campus. I want to learn as much as I possibly can so that I can continue to grow to be a better teacher each year.
What university/college did you attend?
I received my bachelors degree in economics at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Once I finished my four years of undergrad, I attended Fresno Pacific University to attain my teaching credential.
I am super excited and grateful to have this opportunity to teach at my alma-mater high school. I know the town, I know the campus, and I think that is a big strength I bring in as a teacher. I am really excited to see what the rest of the school year brings!

Amy Zaninovich: English Grade 12th
What inspired you to become a teacher?
I have known from a young age that I wanted to be a teacher. Growing up, my mom demonstrated what it meant to impact the lives of students. She inspired me to want to do the same. I also wanted to be able to create good people, not just good students.
What classes do you teach? Are there any clubs that you are an advisor for or would like to advisor for?
I teach English 12. While I am not an advisor for any clubs, I am the JV boys’ coach for water polo.
Though teaching is a rewarding job, I find that the hours spent outside of the classroom are stressful. The planning and grading outside of school hours can feel overwhelming at times, though I do believe this part of the job will get easier!
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
I like helping students for a number of reasons. Specifically teaching seniors, I find it very rewarding when I get to prepare my students for their future plans after high school. Furthermore, graduation means so much to my students and their families, so being able to help them through this year is very special.
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
I love being able to make meaningful connections with my students. Though I enjoy teaching English, it is always great to be able to get to know who my students are outside of the classroom.
What is your main goal this year ?
My main goal for this year is to have all of my students graduate in the spring. Though this is a daunting goal, I know that all my students are fully capable young adults equipped with the skills to accomplish this.
I attended Fresno Pacific University where I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Liberal Arts and a minor in coaching. I also played NCAA DII water polo for their program.

Austin Rurik: History and Social Studies, 10th grade
What inspired you to become a teacher?
I was inspired to become a teacher because of the influence my former teachers had on me. They mentored me, cried with me, laughed with me and helped shape me into who I am today. I wanted to have an opportunity to do the same and hope to have a similar influence on the kids coming through my classes.
What classes do you teach? Clubs?
Modern World History, AP European History, I also am an assistant for the varsity baseball team.
What’s stress?
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
Working with students has been a passion of mine for a long time, and I have been coaching and teaching since I was in 9th grade. It is fun to see students become better versions of themselves and take responsibility for their work. It’s a blast to see them grow over the years and become better versions of themselves
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
Working with and building friendships with students.
What is your main goal this year ?
I want students to become better versions of themselves every day and know I am advocating for them in everything they do.
B.A. from Biola University ,M.A. from Fresno Pacific University
Let’s have a great year.

Janet Tenpas: Band Director
What inspired you to become a teacher?
In 6th grade, I was allowed to help younger students when I got my work done, and I found that I truly enjoyed the moments when a student reached understanding with my help. I decided my sophomore year to become a band director because I loved music above everything else. It was such a positive experience for me, I wanted to bring that experience to other people
What classes do you teach? Clubs?
Guitar, Color Guard, Advanced Band, Beginning Band, and Jazz Band. Advanced Band and Color Guard encompasses our competitive performing ensembles, the marching band in the Fall and Winter Guard and Winter Percussion in the spring. All of the band classes are considered “clubs” in order to have ASB accounts, but I would also be interested in the Feminist or GSA clubs. I also have a passion for film music, and would love to explore something like that jointly with our film clubs.
I would say the most stressful part of teaching is everything that isn’t working directly with kids.
Why do you like/enjoy helping students?
There’s something very satisfying about helping people and passing what you love to them. I’m very lucky; I get to teach a subject that brings me great joy, so in turn, I get to lead others to having that same joy. I love high school students because of their personalities, their senses of humor, and the energy they bring!
What do you most enjoy about teaching?
I enjoy making music and having experiences with my students. There are moments that are just full of emotion- coming off of a field at the end of a competition, or a perfect moment in the music that just reaches out and grabs you, or even bus rides home where everyone is happy- that are just so amazing!
What is your main goal this year ?
To honor the legacy of the Sanger High School Band program. SHS has had a great program for years, I want to continue to help it grow and provide meaningful music education for all of my students.
What university/college did you attend?
I graduated from Fresno State in 2008 with a B.A. in Music Education and earned my teaching credential the following year. Go Dogs!