Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

Health Science Pathway

Students share information on their chosen pathway
Vincent Thach

When new freshmen start to enroll in high school, they have many choices on what classes to pick. Depending on the student, they can also pick pathways which help them with their transition to college in their chosen field. College classes that match their career also have the opportunity to earn college credit so they won’t have to take as many classes in college. The Health Science Pathway, for example, can offer help like becoming CPR certified for students who want to become a  paramedic, nursing assistance, pharmacy technician, etc. 

“I chose the Health Pathway since I have always had a passion for nursing and knew this pathway would get me ahead for my future career. I saw it offered more specific opportunities for my career than any other pathway,” said Natalie Ochoa.

The opportunities this pathway offers is crucial. Applying for the certified nursing assistant (CNA) capstone allows you to be certified to become one after completion. The average hourly wage is around $21 per hour with benefits based on google. Where did you get this info?

Natalie Ochoa says, “People should choose the Health Pathway if they are interested in becoming a nurse, doctor, or any career in the medical field  because you are granted more certificates which make you appear much more qualified than another student applying for the same position. I am in the CNA class this year and I will graduate and receive my CNA certification which allows me to immediately become a CNA or work in healthcare.”

Careers in the medical field will always be in demand. Training to be a registered nurse can be a good career related to the Health Pathway and the first step is to become a CNA Is this the first step or is this the goal? What is it the first step towards?. The class allows students to get hands-on experience in a nursing environment with real residents.

Senior Emiliano Infante says, “My favorite pathway class has been pharmacology.”

Pharmacology, Taught by teacher Alison Parks, was one of the three capstone choices you can choose from in your final year at Sanger High. The classes teach students about medical terminology related to pharmaceutical drugs and how the human body reacts to it. Unfortunately, this will be its last year as a class due to many of the students picking CNA or ROP adv. sports medicine instead.

“I do like my pathway teachers. Ms. Parks makes learning not that boring, Mr. Bueno is really laid back, and Ms. Flores was a funny teacher” says Emiliano Infante.

Teachers are one of the most important parts in a student’s learning development. Without the correct teachers, students would have a much more difficult time learning. Ms. Parks teaches many of the health classes like medical occupation, pharmacology, and more. She is also responsible for giving out CPR certification tests as well. Mr. Bueno is teaching Anatomy and allows students to dissect animals to learn about their organs and inside parts. Lastly, Ms. Flores teaches Spanish but at the level to where it can be used in the medical field on patients of Spanish descent.  

The health pathway should be a consideration for future high school students that are looking to pursue a career related to it. The wonderful teachers and lessons should also be another reason to do it.