Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

Kevin Chambers breaks single season assist record

A 25-year-old record now has a new leader
Evan Hernandez

Kevin Chambers is a senior student at Sanger High who plays point guard for Sanger Apaches boys basketball. In early February of the 2023-2024 Sanger Apaches boys basketball season, guard Kevin Chambers broke the single season assist record with 159 assists. Chambers, in his time with Sanger Apaches basketball, has shown great examples of  facilitating a  pass-first point guard who takes a strong leadership role with the team’s offense, consisting of great court vision and ball handling skills. 

“It felt good, I’ve been wanting to break a record ever since I got here. The way I found (found what?) was by coach Jolly, she was telling me I’m close and that the game I did break it, I was only three assists away. When I broke it was just like a great feeling,” says Chambers. 

Chambers has been playing basketball for 15 years and counting, being extremely involved with Sanger basketball.He also played for his elementary team John Wash Elementary, Sanger swish AAU team, in addition to Sanger High. The team connection has always been a part of Kevin as well as the leadership role he has developed by being Sanger High’s primary point guard. Chambers had his eyes set on a more prestigious record this year but was content with breaking a single season record. 

“I had the all time record in mind before, but then I was like 30 assists away at the end of the season. So at the beginning of the season I was like ‘okay I think I can get it’ and that was my original plan, and then as the season went on I was just like ‘I’m going to go for the single season record one,” says Chambers. 

Chambers demonstrates what it means to be a facilitator. As the primary ball handler, he utilizes his vision and persistence as he manages the speed of the game to his liking. Operating the offense in running plays that lead to mismatches for open players to create the best opportunity possible of scoring. 

“I’m really just like a pass-first point guard, I don’t really score that much. My teamsters (teammates? Teamsters are a trucking union) are always open and the plays we run set up me for assists and getting my teammates open,” says Chambers. 

Teamwork has always been the driving motive for varsity head coach Al Alvarado and the play style for Sanger basketball. With Kevin as an excellent leader, they have done just that this year as Kevin speaks about some of his favorite moments in his time in Sanger basketball.

“This year we won the Clovis Elk Tournament; it’s a big tournament in Clovis High. We got first place, and then my sophomore year we won in Ojai. Those two tournaments are the first time Sanger has ever won those tournaments,” says Chambers. 

Chambers will be graduating this year with the class of 2024. Kevin plans to continue his career in basketball in college. He’s created core memories within his time here playing for Sanger High and now will leave a memorable record at the school waiting for the next player to surpass it.

“I’m going to go play college basketball, I don’t know where yet but I’m going to play college basketball,” says Chambers. 

Sanger High looks forward to the Chamber’s future as he plans to continue his path of basketball after high school. He’ll soon leave behind a legacy that’ll be remembered for many years at Sanger High.