Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That
This or That
April 11, 2024

Apaches turn up the lights and beats

A look at mock rock 2024 and legendary halftime show
Miley Araujo

Mock Rock is an annual event at Sanger High that took place this year on March 22nd, the Friday before spring break. Six groups  this year, including the yearly senior montage plus the teacher montage. This year, a new group that participated was the drama class that gave a sneak preview to their upcoming performance, Grease. Other groups included Best Buddies, K-Pop, and the Polynesian group. 

Ronnie Scott, the activities director, said Mock Rock started, “in the mid 80’s. It used to be called Air Guitar back then.” 

The theme this year was Halftime Hall Of Fame. Mock Rock is a once-a-year thing that students and staff both participate in and look forward to.

Scott says, “It helps with building the culture and climate of the school.”

Tickets for Mock Rock cost $2 One difference this year is that all proceeds from Mock Rock went towards the school’s Make-A-Difference project which went towards supporting one of our teachers Mrs. Lazaro’s son was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease. 

Auditions for Mock Rock were held on March 20th. Scott says the auditions’ purpose is to, “ hear their music and watch their act, to check for appropriateness.”

The groups all rehearsed and prepared for Mock Rock at different locations, 

Daniel Patterson, who is a part of the Grease cast who performed at Mock Rock says his group rehearsed, “in the small gym and during our regular rehearsals.” 

The Grease cast performed the song “Shaking at the High School Hop”. Groups rehearsed for multiple weeks now since the announcement of the theme came out on March 1st. 

Patterson says his rehearsals have been “quick and simple.” 

Mock Rock consists of six total performances, with 74 people in total. After Mock Rock, which was very energetic and crowded, the senior class won first place this year. 

One senior part of the montage, Ammie Rangel, adds, “I think Mock Rock is such an amazing event for us seniors to end off the year showing the underclassman, what we are made of.”