Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

Comp at Tiger ROMP

Valley ROP classes come together
Briana Barajas

Sanger High Valley ROP classes made an annual trip to Tiger ROMP this year. Tiger ROMP is a career education competition held every March at Reedley College. Many students, teachers and staff attended this trip. There were 11 high schools that participated this year.  

“A number of over 2,000 students competed and over 1,600 students attended the in-person event, a new record!” says Dawn Pearson, Digital Photography teacher. 

For people that have not been to Tiger ROMP before, it was a great first time experience. Students have the opportunity to interact with other peers and see their talent with the ROP class they are competing in. It is an activity that you can learn from and learn more about future career opportunities. 

Some prizes that were available for the first, second and third-place winners were medals for your achievement and potentially a prize related to the respective ROP class. 

“Some may win a medal & certificate, others may win a gift donated by local companies,” says Allison Parks, Medical term teacher. 

Before entering into the competition, students have to take an exam within their ROP class, and if they score high enough, they can compete in Tiger ROMP. If they do not pass, potential participants can either attend as support for one another or your teacher may still ask for you to attend.  

To name some of our ROP classes that attended Tiger ROMP this year were the Business ROP, Med term, CNA, Digital photography, Video production, Digital animation, Sports medicine, Welding, Culinary and Public services. There were other ROP classes that competed and students took first to third place. 

It is a fun experience to have and seeing other schools compete with each other and having fun. Teachers take pride in their students showing off their skills to everyone there. 

Tiger ROMP is a big deal here in the San Joaquin valley. It portrays student’s skills in their course. 

“It allows students to display and compare mastery of their course via competition against students from other schools in similar courses,” says Jorge Pena, Business teacher. 

Many students from Sanger High took first, second and third place from all different class courses. Courses that placed are from agriculture and natural resources, arts, media and entertainment, manufacturing and product development, health science, education & child development, hospitality & tourism and public services. 

There are two Divisions: the Kings Canyon and Sequoia Division. All final results came back as a success. Sanger High won this year’s trophy in the Sequoia Division.