Effects of cyberbullying at SHS

Bringing awareness to students about virtual bullying
Effects of cyberbullying at SHS

Sanger Hi-Lights put out a survey for students to have the opportunity to share their cyberbullying experiences, or any cyberbullying that they have witnessed. After the survey, it has been found that 87.8% of students at Sanger High have not been cyberbullied out of the 95 students that participated.  That means that 12.2% of students have had first hand experiences of cyberbullying. 

An anonymous source states, “I had a social media account that was public and when I posted a video, multiple people said things about my appearance so I deleted the entire account.” The same anonymous source advises others to make their social media private so they can choose who views their posts. 

Though a large number of students at Sanger High have not been cyberbullied, 44.4% of students have witnessed others being cyberbullied; this is more than likely a conservative number. 

One of the students, a part of the 44.4% states, “Throughout my years of high school I have seen others experience cyberbullying. Others have made social media accounts to make fun of people.” This student adds that cyberbullying can make people feel embarrassed and not safe to come to school. 

In either case, whether you have been cyberbullied or have witnessed it, cyberbullying has caused people to have negative emotions towards themselves and others. 

At the end of the survey, we asked students if there was anything they would like to add on about cyberbullying. One student says, “People should be kind to each other and show basic respect even if it’s something they don’t agree with.” 

A lot of students responded to the question explaining how cyberbullying should be stopped and how it is difficult to handle. A student states, “People think it’s hard to stand up for themselves when it comes to cyberbullying, if you accuse someone of doing so but the proof gets deleted it’s hard to find a solution for the situation.”  

From the information collected, it is shown that cyberbullying has a negative effect on everyone who experiences it. Though the statistics at Sanger High are low, there are students who go through it. If you or someone you know may be experiencing cyberbullying or in need of someone to talk to, Sanger High provides wellness counselors for every student on campus. Donna Dodd is the 9th and 11th grade counselor. Dodd can be seen in the library or reached at (559) 524-7406. Hua Rusca, 10th and 12th grade wellness counselor can be seen in room 331, or reached at (559) 524-7406.