Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That
This or That
April 11, 2024

Director of musicians

Preparation for the band and colorguard
Esther Blanton

Sanger High School’s band and colorguard is an elective that is offered here on campus.  Band is an ensemble of kids who find interest in musical events and instruments; their activities include marching as well as concert performances. Color guard is a mixture of performing with flags, sabers, mock rifles, and other equipment;they also dance and perform interpretive movements that accompany the band in their various performances. 

The Band director Joseph Archuleta has been a band director in Sanger Unified for six years now after graduating from Sanger High. In addition to playing in traditional school bands for Fresno State, he also played in his own band as well.. 

“I was definitely in band in high school,here at Sanger High. During my time here we started a Latin Ensemble and even recorded an album. During my college years I played in many ensembles including the Fresno State marching band and wind ensemble. I was also a part of many college honor bands, one of which traveled to New York where I had the privilege to perform in the historic Carnegie Hall,” said Archuleta. 

The class performs like a professional organization. The class has different roles such as librarians, section leaders, board members etc. 

Archuleta, when discussing the various roles, says, “Though we are still getting to know each other and establishing roles and responsibilities, everyone has equal importance in the success of the class. From the new freshmen all the way up to the most experienced senior, and continuing up to me and my staff, we are all equally important to each other’s success.”  

Although there are rules and regulations, the new band and colorguard director has made an impression through his directing for one of  the colorguard students. 

“To us he’s making good improvements to the band program,” said Megan Walbridge. 

The director’s goals for the semester is to improve students for the better by focusing on skills for self-improvement.

“The primary focus of my teaching is building skills that these students can carry with them and utilize in any career path they choose to follow. Whether they choose to pursue music as a vocation or an avocation, I want to teach them how to be the most successful version of themself,” says Archuleta. 

The students he teaches say that he is helpful with music and is also helping the band get better by being patient with the students. 

Archuleta has learned a good amount of instruments and will continue learning alongside the kids as well. 

“I majored in saxophone, but I am a woodwind specialist. I play saxophone, clarinet, flute, and recorder. I also play ukulele and sing. I hope to one day add guitar to that list as I learn to play it through teaching my class,” says Archuleta. 

As of his teaching and helpfulness that he brings to the band and colorguard class gives them confidence. He is also helping them gain achievements.by working with the students on a daily basis

“He was very confident in his ability to put the band back together,” says Alissia Chistman, Band student.

So if anybody is interested in learning an instrument or colorguard, join Archuleta’s sixth period Cadet Band class. Once students establish their fundamental skills, they can potentially move up to the Advanced Band class where the band will have a competitive marching season in the fall as well as a competitive concert season in the spring. 

Being a member of the Advanced Band allows eligibility for our other ensembles including Winter Percussion, and Jazz Band. Archuleta will also have a beginning Classical Guitar class which, again, requires no previous musical experience. Also, it is recommended to join our Color Guard class.  Band has undergone major changes in the last three years, but there now seems to be stability at the position that our students welcome.