Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That
This or That
April 11, 2024

Internet Trends Debacle

The rise of worldwide bandwagons
Miley Araujo

The rise of popular brands and its influence on the world is becoming more and more evident with the chain of internet trends starting off 2024. Popular brands more commonly directed towards young and new adults are spreading influence globally on children, teenagers and adults alike. Stanleys, Drunk Elephant and Uggs are currently all the buzz and everyday the demand increases. 

Most of the influence comes from social media and people advertising the brands by fashionably drinking from their Stanley cup, pulling it out unscathed from a burning car. People have gone as far as robbing Starbucks of their limited Stanley stock or snatching the entire rack of Stanleys as soon as they restock and reselling them twice or thrice the cost.

Currently, the debate of whether this influence is being used properly is up in the air by concerned adults on media platforms. Now, the young and impressionable audience is making their own noise in the making of these trends. 

For years, the skin-care brand Drunk Elephant has been in business, and it is now that its success has skyrocketed. Local beauty stores are being ransacked by pre-teens looking for their skin-care products. This outbreak has stirred some public disbelief and annoyance within employees, customers, and siblings or parents. 

TikToks of people complaining about the mess the kids leave behind, how they’re rude ,demanding, and their apparent youth being a problem in a makeup store meant for older people. Seeing the spread of this trend, older siblings have recorded their younger siblings asking if they too were also under the impression of the Drunk Elephant influence. 

Low-cut Uggs are now replacing the regular Uggs and any other comfy-girl winter boots. People are donning their puffy jackets with their new, low-cut uggs. The attraction of these Uggs have risen and people are even going to greater lengths to achieve the low-cut ugg look such as cutting them off right at the ankle line. 

The attraction for all of these current brands have been publicized more on all social media platforms and continue to uproot the success of them. With more spotlight on these trends, people grapple with trying to keep up with them and post their very own video showing them off, and in the process they spend loads of money.  Is this a good or bad thing?