Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That
This or That
April 11, 2024

Phone usage in school

SHS members give their take on phone restrictions
Viviana Delsid

Cell phones and school have always been two things that never got along well. We will take a look at the two sides of this contentious issue.

Estevan, a senior at Sanger High, has a mild take on phones and restrictions.

“They should be allowed to use phones but at a restriction. When in lecture they should not be out but during free class time they should most definitely be allowed to use their phones,” according to Gonzalez. Gonzalez also mentioned that he feels students should only be on their phone for five to fifteen minutes out of an entire hour class period.

Philip Bueno, an anatomy/physiology, PLTW Human Body Systems, and UCCI Biology teacher, states, “Students would definitely benefit from not having access to their phone during class time. The phones distract them from the lessons presented in class.”  

Bueno feels that students rely on phones too much to enrich their lives. 

“Once class starts their phones should be put away and should stay away until the very end of class,” Bueno states.

Students should be allowed to use their phones in class but only if work is completed and turned in, says Beyonce Garcia, a student at Sanger High.

“I feel the maximum amount of time students should be on their phone during class all depends on the students completion of work that needs to be done before the end of the class period,” she adds.

Garcia also said she feels phones are quite distracting especially when students are walking while on their phones. “Oftentimes students are walking on their phones. This leaves them to be unaware of their surroundings and bumping into people, which can be annoying and dangerous,” Garcia says.

Phones in school can be a controversial topic with different views and opinions that vary. 

Nonetheless, they are something to be spoken about and perhaps include restrictions and consequences when necessary. Phones should be allowed at a limit and not overused. With students using their phones more than they should, they can be further distracted from school work.