Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

Postsecondary education program

G.E.A.R. U.P: Middle to high school assistance
Evaney Gutierrez

Sanger Unified School District offers a program called G.E.A.R. U.P. (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Program). The program has been active at Sanger Unified for three years. G.E.A.R U.P aims to gather more students who are interested in postsecondary education as well as a seven-year grant partnership between College Prep Academy. 

“The program focuses specifically on 9th grade students at Sanger High and Sanger West High Schools, with the main goal of providing college and career readiness support,” said Favian R. Arizaga G.E.A.R U.P Coordinator. 

The program was authorized and accepted by Congress in 1998 and falls under the Department of Education according to Arizaga. While it was created over twenty years ago, current students are currently benefiting from the program.

“G.E.A.R U.P  is helpful, reliable, and trustworthy,” said Xavier Gonzales, a Sanger High G.E.A.R. U.P. member. The program was created for many reasons. Coordinator Arizaga believes it was made to empower the community of low-income students and equip them with necessary tools to achieve their college and postsecondary goals. 

“That’s why we created G.E.A.R. U.P.- a program designed to offer college readiness support, Math and ELA tutoring, and family engagement workshops to ensure every student has the support they need to succeed in their post-secondary education,” said Arizaga.  Students will also say that the program helps students with what type of preparation?.

“It allows students to understand how to get to college and helps them with their work,” said Emmanuel Castro Covarrubias. Students who like the program will comment 

“My favorite part of G.E.A.R. U.P. is that they help you do better in school by making sure your grades stay up”said Gonzales. A way to get into the G.E.A.R U.P program, for your secondary education plan is limited, to be able to join G.E.A.R. U.P. a minimum of 50% of a school’s student body must be eligible for the federal free and reduced-price lunch (FRL) program. Which Sanger High Is eligible, so any ninth grader is able to join the program. 

“G.E.A.R. U.P. programs start at the middle school level, as early as Sixth and Seventh grades,” said Arizaga. 

Students are automatically enrolled in the G.E.A.R. U.P. program. Any other information can be found in the G.E.A.R. U.P. room at Sanger High (317)

“You can also get in touch with Luis Favian R. Arizaga, G.E.A.R. U.P. Coordinator for Sanger, by sending an email to [email protected]. We encourage all ninth graders to take advantage of this opportunity to help ensure their success in the future,” said Arizaga. The ninth graders who participate in the program encourage the future Sanger High students to take advantage and join the program.

“If that classmate wanted to go to college or if they needed help I would tell them,” said Covarrubias. The class may have a strong program at the moment but some students would like to add that the program has room for improvements.

“Some improvements that could be added to improve the program is better advertising,“ said Covarrubias. Other students agree and add that there should be meetings with students multiple times a week. Despite these minor issues, students have ultimately benefited from this program so far.