Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

The leap from jv to varsity

SHS athletes improve on the sport
Evan Hernandez

Sanger High athletics are a major piece of the school, specifically varsity matches and varsity competition. 

With that being said, a few Sanger High athletes were asked a few questions regarding the transition from jv to varsity.

Kayden Mcgrew is a junior at Sanger High, he plays football and is positioned at defensive back and running back, he can be seen wearing number 21 on his back. Mcgrew has been playing these positions since he was around six years old.

“The feel for the game man definitely! love everything about this sport it drives you to keep working and working and the more effort and dedication you put will definitely show on game days”, says Mcgrew.

Mcgrew also mentioned that he began to feel better after some time and building more team chemistry.

The next athlete asked about the big transition was Aaron Tamez, who is currently a senior. Tamez is now featured on the varsity boys basketball team and has been playing the sport since the sixth grade. Tamez can currently be seen wearing number zero on the court. 

When asked if he feels there is more pressure on varsity he claims “no basketball is basketball”.

Being in the sport, Tamez feels his favorite part is his teammates which make the game fun and competitive.

Macey McNab is another senior attending Sanger High, she plays girls volleyball and has been playing since freshman year. Like the students mentioned before, McNab has made the jump from jv to varsity this past season. McNab plays middle blocker on the team.

“My favorite thing about being in the sport is that I have created such good bonds with my teammates as well as being able to do something I love everyday.”

McNab claims there is much more pressure on her as an athlete now being on varsity due to the greater level of play and higher expectations.