Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That-Excorsist

Five Nights At Freddy’s vs The Exorcist: Believer
    This or That-Excorsist
    Seth Williams

Click here to check out the FNAF Opinion    

The original film of The Exorcist was first released in 1973 and became a movie that changed the horror movie landscape, inspiring the newest adaptation, The Exorcist: Believer. The new movie just came out this year on October 6 with a new take on possession. “The first film received a gross amount over the years of 1.8 billion dollars in the box office. The newest film made up to 30 million dollars since it was released” (Time).  The way I look at it, that is pretty impressive for the film industry in the little bit of time it was out. 

The movie focuses on a possession with two different girls from different backgrounds. Added along with the original story of the exorcist, they ended up having to suffer the same possessions which made it illuminating and scary.

“The idea of having two girls from two different backgrounds experiencing a synchronized demonic possession came from a desire to expand the Exorcist lore beyond Catholicism,” according to director and co-writer David Gordon Green.  

The addition of the two girls added double suspense and a double background story. 

Exorcist: Believer was going more for a more broad look other than supernatural possession. They ended up doing a Vodou religion and the spiritual practices of hoodoo and rootwork for this film, which really had me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next, and how they were able to help such a thing. 

The movie The Exorcist was based on a little girl named Angela who tried to get in contact with her dead mother. Her friend Katherine also joined, and they did a ritual. After the ritual they became a subject of possession under a supernatural entity after returning to their homes. The two girls had no control of what was happening to one’s body and or actions which made me feel sympathy and fear watching the action. While the new movie Five Nights At Freddy’s was based on a middle aged man working a security job and then finding out there was a 50 year gap in between opening the child’s rip-off Chuck E. Cheese soon found out the reason for the shut down 50 years ago, the kids were going missing from Animatronics.

Although an Animatronic take over must be scary, a supernatural spirit in a live human with a life makes the movie clips have a tingling feeling. One of the significant clips that had you feeling the tingle towards  the movie was when the abnormal movements were similar and or effective for both girls. Another thing the movie director added to the new film to make viewers feel those feelings was the appearance of the mother from the first film who experienced the possession with her own daughter. Reagan’s mom was there to tell the parents of the two girls  Katherine and Angela a way to get help, just as she helped her own daughter in the first film of the Exorcist.