Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That
This or That
April 11, 2024

Gavin Dougherty: Class of 2025’s super student

Insight on Gavin and his huge accomplishments within high school
Evaney Gutierrez

There’s one student that holds the highest grade out of all the students in his class while still maintaining time as an athlete. Gavin Dourherty’s extravagant accomplishments has put his name for a group where only he belongs academically. Aside from having the best grade of his graduation class, Gavin’s also an extremely skilled gymnast.

“During elementary and middle school, it was always a dream of mine to push my limits of academics taking difficult classes while pursuing my gymnastics career to hopefully make it to a division one college,” says Dougherty.

Gavin has exceeded such levels of academics and continues to strive more. When it comes to being a gymnast, he’s had his roller coaster of obstacles to come through and still remains on top. 

“One specific obstacle that comes to mind is when I was lacking motivation to progress my gymnastics career. I was on the verge of quitting entirely due to the feeling of loading progress. However, I stayed with it and started working harder which finally led to progress. This sparked my inner motivation and allowed me to achieve all that I have to this day,” says Dougherty.

With a couple years left in high school, Gavin has his eyes set towards future goals post graduation and has created a vision for a career.

“For as long as I can remember, I have always held my focus towards my future. In the next five years I hope to graduate college and begin my journey of becoming a neurosurgeon or anesthesiologist in medical school. I also aspire to take my gymnastics to the next level in a division 1 school and hopefully win competitions on the national level,” says Dougherty. 

Gavin likes to surround himself with those who help motivate him, growing as a group together in motivating each other. Trevor Berry, Gavin’s best friend, has been there to support him through thick and thin.

“I have known about Gavin’s success forever even when we were little. He was always super competitive and always pushing the limits. I continue to motivate him everyday by just being a friend there for him to take off stress with and remind him that what he has done and will continue to do is amazing and that he has the strength to keep pushing the limits,” says Berry. 

Aside from his best friend, his parents have been the biggest supporters of his journey. Trevor spoke about his connection with Gavin’s parents and what they mean to Gavins flourishing road.

“Gavins biggest motivator would be his parents, they are able to encourage him to be great but give him his own freedom so he can succeed on his own,” says Berry. 

The future is tremendously bright for Gavin as he continues his success consecutively per year. The sky’s the limit, and Gavin is doing just that with school and Gymnastics in hopes to pursue his future goals.