Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

Elevating dance moves on campus

Spotlight shines on K-Pop/Hip-Hop Dance Club
Evaney Gutierrez

The K-Pop/Hip-Hop Dance Club is one of Sanger High’s feature clubs on campus. Members meet and have the opportunity to dance and participate in many different performances throughout the school year.  Official meetings are weekly on “Mondays and Wednesdays, but leading up to a performance we have them every day,” says Ramos. Dancing primarily emphasizes K-Pop Music with some hip-hop influences.  

Arun Amparachane, the club advisor, says, “This is a dance club and the expectation is that they have to dance and perform at different events throughout the school year.” 

Ariana Briones, club president, says, “It welcomes people who enjoy expressing themselves through dance (k-pop and hip hop based). Gives people a chance to make friends and connections through this club.” 

This is Amparachane’s fourth year in charge of the club. The goal for this year is to have more performances for our school,” said Amporachane. 

They have been featured during club rush, Halloween, Christmas, and foresee more performances for Valentines, Easter, Mock Rock, Fresno State Amerasia Culture Nights and Sanger High Showcase. 

Amporachane states that even as a Club Advisor students learn dances on their own with each other, and coach one another. 

“This is all their work. Our group has been doing an amazing job preparing for performances and helping each other to become better dancers,” says Amporachane.

Club vice president, Marcos Ramos, talks about dances they’ve learned from K-pop groups along with original dances.

“I would say that although we are very diligent and we work hard in our dances, we also have fun experiences that balance out the pressure of learning new dances,” says Ramos.

Amporachane states, “There are days we do some fun games (anything K-pop related), random dances and just hang out and enjoy each other’s company.”

Briones recommends people to join the club.

“For people thinking of joining this club, I would say do it. The amount of friends and relationships I’ve created from doing this club is something I’m very thankful for. It’s super fun and you get to share that fun with other people who share the same interest as you.”       

Amporachane describes the club as a “hardworking, chaotic family.”

While talking about opportunities, students within the club have several experiences. Amporachane stated, “Last year, we collaborated with Sanger West K-Pop Club for the Showcase and it was a great event at the end of the school year.” Seems like it needs a stronger ending statement.