Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

Alex White: Sanger FFA’s spectacular show student

An extraordinary career showing animals for FFA since middle school
v

Alex White is an experienced and well accomplished Sanger FFA student who has been showing animals since middle school. Showing FFA animals begins with middle school students that take part in the “4-H” program, and  gradually build themselves up to high school. Alex has achieved a plentiful amount of championship belts and awards for his long tenured success. 

“This year I’m showing six different species, A dairy replacement heifer, market rabbit, market turkey, market hog, market goat, and pygmy goats,” said White. 

To finish off his senior year of showing, Alex took the challenge in showing almost every category of animals. A various range of animals that consist of different skill levels raising them.

The amount of time and money that is needed to raise various animals,  ranges from rabbits to large animals such as cows. Adding various animals all together can add up a hefty amount of money. With the skill sets developed at an early age, Alex has made it easier for himself in raising animals and showing in October’s The Big Fresno fair. The journey is worthwhile, as it can take several months to raise certain animals before fair time. 

“Around $3000 probably, it gets difficult when you don’t keep track all the time. I have spent less time than I should have. Probably in total around 150 hours. Some animals need a lot more work than others,”says White.

Majority of the time is spent either with the animal at the highschool barn, or in a personal barn of their own. The time adds up and sooner than you know, you’re now at the fair with your team getting ready to show for a week’s time or two. 

Within the process of raising animals, you bond with your team from the start. Being a part of a team surrounded by proficient members, and most importantly the teachers is inevitable. It’s a key factor to surround yourself with helpful members as it benefits character development and skill sets needed to take care of your animals in a more efficient manner than working all on your own.

“I enjoy the community around it, they’re very helpful, enjoyable and competitive,” says White.

Alex spent a total of two weeks at the fair showing his various animals, and winning many awards out of it. Most notably, Alex has won multiple championship belt buckles and a substantial amount of ribbon awards for market placement showmanship placements.

“The fair can be incredibly stressful but it can be very rewarding in terms of friendship and literal awards,” says White.

Alex will be nearing 8 years now of participating in FFA showmanship, filling in the box for everything possible within showing animals as he’s grown an immense collection of memories and achievements.