The value of print in a digital world

Staff and student opinions on the school newspaper
The value of print in a digital world

Journalism has been a part of Sanger High School for over 60 years.  Journalism focuses on news, opinions, features,  and sports. Hi-Lights runs the school newspaper with information not just about the school, but with the community here in Sanger, California, and the world.

“We have a lot of great things going on at SHS. Hi-Lights is a way to ‘highlight’ those amazing programs and students,” says school admin, Michael Hamilton.

Hamilton also points out, “The paper is delivered to classrooms, students can hold on to it, flip through it, cut out articles, etc. I think that is a very important service to the school and community.”

The newspaper is overall useful, and also fun to have and read, but then again everyone has their own opinions.

“It makes SHS unique and has been a tradition for more than 60 years. Less people will see it in digital format and eventually – less people will care about our historically relevant and fantastic journalism program,” says Dawn Pearson, digital photography instructor at Sanger High. As Pearson explained, the school newspaper has not only been around for years, but also affected Sanger High in its own way. It’s a way for students to learn about their school.  

Another thing Pearson adds is, “Social Media is too brief and forgotten right away. Print is forever and more meaningful. More opportunity to showcase events and programs through photos and informational stories with many different points of view rather than just ONE opinion.” Pearson explains how social media is taking over as a news source rather than reading an actual newspaper. Social media is too bland and doesn’t have any real statings than a newspaper would have with multiple opinions on one topic. We see this issue here in Sanger High as well, but the issue could also go the other way around.

“For some kids who don’t have social media or don’t follow the school account the newspaper helps a lot for students because then it keeps them up to date in previous events that have happened,” says freshman Jaydin Santana. For some students, as Santana stated, the newspaper is a reliable source that not only brings information but interesting stories. 

Santana also states, “One story I remember was “AI changes education for the better.” I enjoyed that story and I would recommend for others to read the newspaper because I did like it and feel like others can.” People here on campus have their own opinions on the Hi-Lights newspaper. I personally believe that the school newspaper is a great way for students to contribute to their school and a good way to learn new information and read fun stories about new and interesting trends, news, events, etc. The school newspaper is used by both staff and students in school and can also be read by people outside of the school. This is what makes the newspaper not only informative but also fun to read and explore.