Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

This or That-FNAF

Five Nights At Freddy’s vs The Exorcist: Believer
This or That-FNAF
Seth Williams

Click here to check out the Exorcist Opinion    

On October 27th 2023, the Five Nights At Freddy’s movie was officially released after the wait of 8 years. The movie has been in the works since 2015 and has the fans who love the FNAF games all riled up.      

The Five Nights At Freddy’s fan base originally started in 2014 when the first game was released. After so many years of waiting for the movie, the wait is finally over. The movie brought all of the games, books, theories, and everything related to Five Nights At Freddy’s to life. 

Not only that, but the movie included many people who were invested in the outcome of all the FNAF lore and seeing it in a movie from the start. 

MatPat, a Youtuber who has been posting game theories regarding FNAF for years, was in a cameo in the movie.  In addition to MatPat, there were many other YouTubers who were also a part of the movie. Compared to normal horror films, not many would involve their fan base as much as the Five Nights At Freddy’s movie did. 

The movie itself is not just about a security guard trying to keep animatronics at bay, but the animatronics have the spirits of children who were tragically murdered by the movie’s antagonist. Throughout the movie, you are able to see a connection with the children who were murdered as well as with the main characters Mike and Abby. 

When Mike was younger his brother Garrett was tragically kidnapped. Mike spends his whole life trying to figure out who his brother’s kidnapper was. The movie’s plot leads to where Mike needs to come to the understanding that he has his little sister Abby to take care of. He was not able to save his younger brother but, in the movie after finding out that the children possessing the animatronics were being controlled by their murderer, he does everything in his power to save and protect Abby. 

Mike stopped living in the past for his brother and instead started living for himself, and his sister. In doing so he got the answers he deserved while saving countless lives. 

A movie about demonic possession, especially one in which the characters are deliberately looking into getting themselves into paranormal activity, is often found in the movie industry. Though The Exorcist: Believer has a good plot, the same plot is often found in many different horror movies and horror movie remakes, leaving it predictable. 

The movie industry often makes remakes of horror movies that have the same plot as every other remake that was made before it. The Exorcist: Believer is an example of this.  When you think of characters trying to contact the dead or getting tricked by malevolent spirits, I’m sure that multiple movies come to mind.

The Five Nights At Freddy’s movie deals with paranormal activity, however it is far different from The Exorcist: Believer. You can easily predict the ending of The Exorcist: Believer just by reading the description. There are just too many movies with similar if not the same description. 

Watching a movie that has a very predictable plot is far less appealing than watching a movie in which you won’t be able to predict what will happen throughout it. 

On the other hand Five Nights At Freddy’s was less predictable. There were so many potential ways that the movie could have gone. It could have been based on the game lore more so than the book lore, or vice versa leaving the fan base as well as anyone looking to watch the movie unaware of what to expect. 

Five Nights At Freddy’s has so many great moments including the cameos and connecting the lore from the games, books etc. Comparing it to other horror movies, Five Nights At Freddy’s has a well balanced storyline, character development, and a way that has the ability to bring the fan base back together.