Hi-Lights

The Student News Site of Sanger High School

Hi-Lights

Hi-Lights

New Minga app changes school life

Student ID cards moved to digital
Emma Carbajal

At the start of the 2023-2024 school year, Sanger High started to test out the app Minga and its different features. At this point in time, Sanger High is not using the app to its full potential, but it is starting to apply it to daily activities that deal with both students and staff. It is still being determined on whether or not the app has shown itself to be beneficial or if instead it has caused complications to everyone on the Sanger High campus. 

Even though the Minga app isn’t being used to its full potential it is still effective in activities such as football games and it is used to exit out of the senior gate. It later on may be used for dances and as a digital hall pass. Though as of right now, with the digital student ID, there have been some complications when it comes to it loading by the time it needs to be shown before entering a football game. “The idea of a digital ID is smart though when it comes to entering a game if it doesn’t load by the time you enter, it turns into a hassle because at that point you are making other people wait or are having to exit the line in a whole,” said sophomore Dulce Quiahua. 

Assistant Principal, Michael Hamilton  brings a different perspective about the use of Minga by stating that it is also being used as a way to speed up tardies and has been useful to office staff when it comes to paperwork. Being able to speed up the process of marking tardies can be seen as beneficial for both students as well as school staff when it comes to keeping a closer look at what students may be showing up late to school, and how it is affecting them in an educational manner.   This will also make the process of getting students who are already late to school, get to their classes quicker.

“A huge benefit to students is having a Digital ID in your pocket. Many times, students forget their ID cards, but they usually have their phones.”  says Hamilton.  This makes the point that students now have two forms of ID that they are now able to use for activities even if one form is lost. 

There have been changes applied to both students and some of Sanger High’s staff when it comes to Minga, however teachers on the other hand have not yet been shown how to use any of the app’s features. Jorge Peña teacher at Sanger High says that even though he has not used the app himself, he feels that it should be mandatory for students. “From my understanding, it will help speed up many campus/student processes on campus and improve record keeping related to student participation and involvement in campus activities.” says Peña.  

Since the app is still fairly new and we haven’t seen all the features, there is still time to determine whether or not the Minga app is beneficial for all students and staff on the Sanger High campus.