The Freshmen Voice: Advisory and Character Strong

Do you believe Advisory and Character Strong are helpful?

December 9, 2022

I believe that advisory is a great accommodation to the Sanger High School schedule. This allows time to get work done at school rather than at home, which can be very beneficial for students who participate in extracurricular activities. On the days where you get time to work you can catch up on work that is late or get ahead on work that is to come. On the days where it is character strong it can be awkward at first talking to someone you don’t know, but once you get used to it you can just relax and see other people’s viewpoints. Character strong is also a place where you can voice your opinion on things that have nothing to do with school, while being taught a social lesson you could use throughout your life. This also allows the students to get to know the teacher better because everyone in class is participating. Although it can be boring on work days where you don’t have any work; you can just use that time to draw or do something that keeps your mind distracted. Overall, advisory and character strong are helpful periods for finishing work and interacting with new people.

I believe that Advisory is helpful, but Character Strong is not. In advisory, we can catch up on missing work and finish homework, making more time for sports and extracurricular activities after school. However, Character Strong is not very helpful. In my class, almost no one answers the questions, and most of the time, people seem bored. In my opinion, I do not take very much away from the lessons, and I already know most of what it is trying to teach. It may not be true for everyone, but it seems like people do not care about or learn from Character Strong, which makes it unhelpful. In the end, I think the advisory period is helpful and does not need to be replaced, but only because it is great for finishing work.